Today is my 28th birthday. I know, I can’t believe it either. Some days it feels like just last week I was 17 and going on my first date with my now-husband. The last decade has gone by so quickly and it surprises me just how close to 30 I really am.
Just kidding. I’m going to celebrate 29 forever!
Anyway, in honor of my 28th birthday, here are 28 random facts about me. Some of them are more interesting than others!
1. I am an Aquarius. I have no idea if that makes me a go-getter, creative, or passive aggressive. I don’t follow astrology, but I like to see how wrong my horoscope is.
2. I had severe anxiety as a child. I was terrified of thunderstorms. It was bad. I would have panic attacks and throw up. The only place I felt safe was in my bed. This lead to a slight obsession with the weather in high school.
3. I learned how to do different crochet stitches when I was 11, but it wasn’t until the last year that I learned how to make anything.
4. My son is named after my grandpa, who is one of my favorite people in the world.
5. I do not care for cats.
6. I have never been in an airplane.
7. I had the same car from 2002 until 2011.
8. I sometimes hide vegetables in food that I serve my family.
9. I took two years of Latin in college. I have no idea why.
10. There is always crummy weather on my birthday. Yesterday we got a ton of snow.
11. Moxie was our girl name before we ever had children. Michael heard the name when Penn Jillette had a daughter who he named Moxie CrimeFighter.
12. I was on the color guard (flags) for all four years of high school. I was the co-captain my sophomore year and captain my junior and senior years. I loved doing it, but my initial motivation for trying out was that I didn’t want to have to march with my tenor saxophone in marching band.
13. I have known my husband since I was 2 years old. He lived in the house next door.
14. I learned to knit my freshman year of college from a girl in my dorm building. She was left-handed.
15. I knit left-handed.
16. I love color and my favorite is always changing.
17. I sang The Star Spangled Banner at my own high school graduation.
18. I lived in Missouri until I was 22 years old. I have lived in Illinois for almost 6 years and cannot wait to get back to Missouri.
19. I went to the University of Missouri. Go Tigers!
20. In high school I worked at Ace Hardware. One of my co-workers would later become my mother-in-law.
21. I wouldn’t eat mashed or baked potatoes until I was 17. I just didn’t like the taste.
22. I worked as a CNA in a nursing home for two years before having children. It’s one of the only jobs I’ve ever really liked. I liked going to work even when I knew I had dreadful residents to take care of.
23. From grades 5-12 I played the following instruments in band: trumpet, tenor saxophone, oboe, and bassoon. I liked to change it up.
24. I don’t like steak.
25. It took me 18 years to like my first name. It’s hard to like a name that no one can pronounce or spell.
26. My eyes are gray.
27. I had mono in the 10th grade. I lost 15 lbs in one week. My clothes were hanging off of me when I went back to school.
28. Even though some days are tougher than others, I adore being a mom and spending my days at home with my children. Nothing brings me more joy than seeing their smiling faces and watching as they learn about the world around them.