Ever since we transitioned Gene into a toddler bed back in the spring of 2014, I’ve had plans to make him a quilt. I spent a lot of time looking at patterns, but could never settle on anything I liked. At one point I had planned on making him a twin sized Pow Wow quilt. I tried out the pattern a couple of months ago on a smaller scale. And while I did love the pattern, I decided not to make one for Gene’s bed.
About a month ago I saw a few coin stack quilts on Pinterest and fell in love. I sketched out my design, calculated how much fabric I would need, and started browsing for fabric online. I had a really hard time finding fabric I liked. I eventually went to JoAnn Fabrics, grabbed 16 random fabrics that fit my color scheme, and headed home.
Cutting the 230 coins I needed for the quilt took quite some time. I’d cut a few at a time while the kids were playing in the next room. If I’m being totally honest, there were times during the piecing process when I really questioned my randomly chosen fabrics. I was swimming in a sea of greens and blues and really doubting that it would turn out all right.
But it did. I stayed up late last night and finally finished the top. I love all the different shades of blue and green that I chose and I love how they look with the solid gray strips. I haven’t decided what I’m going to do for the back or quilting yet. I’m just so happy to have this part finished! I hope Gene loves it as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it!